5In order for an organization to take well-targeted actions that prevent motor vehicle incidents (MVI) and safeguard employees, it must first understand how employees can get hurt while driving for work. Identifying the hazards they encounter, understanding the factors that contribute to crashes and evaluating the associated risks are key steps in an effective road safety program.
This section explains hazard identification and risk assessment processes from a road safety perspective. It provides tools that will help you identify and categorize the hazards your drivers encounter, systematically evaluate the risks and establish priorities to control those risks. There are four parts.
- The Basics – definitions and explanations of terms.
- Hazard Identification – steps to systematically identify hazards, linked to a hazard inventory and classification tool.
- Risk Assessment – two methods for assessing MVI risks plus examples that demonstrate both.
- Method One: Simple Risk Matrix – this approach uses comparative descriptions of probability and severity to determine risk ranking.
- Method Two: Quantified Risk Scale this approach involves evaluating three risk components: the frequency of exposure, the probability a crash or other loss will occur and the severity of impacts.
- Resources – tools you can use to identify hazards and assess risks, and templates you can modify to fit your organization.
- Online Tool - Road Safety Risk AssessmentsStarting with a basic inventory, add and adjust driving-related hazards to create a customized list that reflects driving circumstances in your workplace. Use the simple risk matrix and scoring guide to evaluate risks and set priorities. Suggested strategies and handy resource links help you decide on and build the right controls. Then, assign responsibilities and track progress. Once you register and login, you can save, print and share the plan you create, and return whenever you like to access and update your work.
- Download Hazard identification and risk assessment website content
- Download Hazard ID Summary Sheet (PDF 297KB)
- Download Hints for Identifying Driving-Related Hazards (PDF 239KB)
- Download Road Hazard Inventory (Excel 12KB)
- Download Simple Risk Matrix Assessment Tool (Excel 26KB)
- Download Applying the Simple Risk Matrix – demonstration example (PDF 475KB)
- Download Quantified Risk Scale Assessment Tool (Excel 21KB)
- Download Applying the Quantified Risk Scale – demonstration example (PDF 710KB)
- Video Tutorial - Using the Simple Risk Matrix and Quantified Risk Scale Tools